“Myths, Presumptions, and Facts about Obesity, “ New England Journal of Medicine, January 31, 2013
1. Regular eating breakfast protects against obesity. Most often no effect
2. Early childhood habits influence weight later in life, i.e. fat kids become fat adults, Often true.
3. Eating fruits and veggies results in weight loss. True.
4. Weight cycling, ie. yo-yo dieting, is associated with increased death rates. True.
5. Snacking contributes to weight gain and obesity. Yes.
6. The environment, i.e. sidewalk and park availability, influences obesity. May affect obesity.