Monday, March 28, 2016
Mike Hukabee, the erstwhile GOP presidential candidate, said words to this effect of President Obama,” He thinks if you’re nice to your enemies, they’ll be nice to you. What naiveté! ”
This statement led me to look up quotes on “nice” and how these quotes might apply to politics.
· “Nice Guys Finish Last.” Leo Durocher (1905-1974), title of his book. This could also be the title of Donald Trump’s next book.
· “Be nice to people on your way up because you’ll meet them on your way down. “ Wilson Mizener (1876-1933). Ted Cruz should take this to heart.
· “Into a stew, a nice little, white little missionary stew.” T.S. Eliot (1988-1965). As Marco Rubio can attest, one minute you’re on top, and then you’re in the missionary stew.
· “A nice man with nasty ideas.” Jonathan Swift (1667-1745). This could apply to President Obama and his nasty remarks about Republicans, or to Donald Trump , who insists he’s a nice guy.
· “Nice work if you can get it and you can get it if you try.”Ira Gershwin (1896-1983). Unfortunately, trying isn’t enough to get it if you’re a Presidential candidate. Ask those 16 Republicans who tried and failed.
· “What are little girls made of? Sugar and spice and everything nice.” Nursery rhyme. But what if little girls turn out to be big girls made of bitters and ice, and everything e-vice?