Saturday, October 22, 2016
Trump Keeps Seizing Defeat from Jaws of Victory
Given a sane Donald Trump and the fact that 70% of Americans think the country is headed in the wrong direction, you might think he would win the election in a landslide.
But according to Peggy Noonan in today’s WSJ, Trump is not a sane person.
Through his inappropriate, often crude, and inflammatory remarks, he keeps seizing defeat from the jaws of victory.
His policy prescriptions to change the direction of U.S. are sound and reasonable and may revitalize America.
Among the current problems are these.
· A stagnant economy with 1% growth.
· The highest corporate tax in the world.
· A staggering national debt of $20 trillion.
· The possible collapse of the economic viability of the American middle class with growing economic equity.
· An unpopular and unworkable health reform law, well on the way of doubling premiums, imposing an average of $1000 deductibles as the price for seeing a doctor, which may not be the one you would choose, and the massive withdrawal of insurers from multiple markets, leaving one or two choices of health plans, does not bode well for the future.
· The loss of the Middle East with the explosive growth of ISIS outside of Iraq into 32 countries.
What Trumps needs are a sense of deprecatory humor and graciousness towards his enemies. But these traits are not part of his nature.