Tuesday, January 16, 2007

doctor patient relationships, poetic doggerel, Your Doctor and You -- A Poetic Interlude

My recent outburst of three episodes of Your Doctor and You, you deserve a break. As John Asberry, the Pulitzer Prize winning poet observed in last Sunday's New York Time Magazine, "It doesn’t take so long to read a poem, and if you need a quick fix or consolation, you can get it. ”You will be interested to know that KevinMD.com, the most popular physician blog, and Revolutionhealth.com, destined to be the be the world's most comprehensive health are website, will mention my blog.

Prose and Cons of Blog Poetry:
More Pros than Cons, I Trust


To my astonishment and conceited great satisfaction,
My blog is finally gaining much needed gratis traction.

Traction is coming in the form of complimentary e-mails.
More often emails come from males rather than females.

As examples of these responses, still too few,
I offer as evidence these recent precious two.

One comes from one of America’s top health leaders,
The other comes from one of my anonymous readers.

From George Halvorson, Kaiser’s Chief Executive,
came this message in a series of sentences consecutive.

He is giving me personal thanks,
And saying with him rhyme ranks.

“Thanks for the blog.
Are you getting responses?
Hits?
Impact?
I love the idea of rhyme.
I wrote a few rhyming pieces in college.
We could be the Twin Poet Laureates
of health care blogging.
Just a thought.”

George, please note, chose to converse
in a poetic medium known as blank verse,

His mind is not blank, just his poetic prose.
He’s a frustrated poet to the tips of his toes.
Let us hope in rhyme he will now compose.

The other comment sprang from an unknown source,
too shy to let his or her identity be known, of course.

He or she has his or her likes and dislikes,
It depends on which gender mood strikes.

“Twas a dual of two poets..
I personally liked Richard Reece's poem
over Richard Brautigan's piece.”

Mame or Sir, whoever, you have your opinion,
even if it falls outside your literary dominion.

Choosing my poem over Brautigan’s piece,
is an amusing case of undeserved noblesse.

Now I am no Ogden Nash,
But I am making a splash.

Before you know it,
I will be a real poet.

It was the late poet Ogden Nash,
for those old enough to remember,

with a still intact memory cache,
who said one frigid day in December.

“I test my bath before I sit,
and I'm always moved to wonderment

that what chills the finger not a bit,
is so frigid upon the fundament.”

There you have it,
Before you know it,

I will be a poetic dandelion,
a widely known literary lion.

The following verse was written
For my fans who are poetically smitten.

Some call this dogmatic doggerel,
I proclaim it as fulsome folderol.

Roses are red.
Violets are blue.

Dandelions do,
what they want to do.

No comments: